CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

About Me

My photo
My Name is Liz and I am 18 years old. I absolutley love reading books, really anything with romance. If you have any questions about my reviews or anything really, just email me at tapial1993@yahoo.com Thank you!

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Skunk Girl By Sheba Karim

If Nina Khan were to rate herself on the unofficial Pakistani prestige point system – the one she’s sure all the aunties and uncles use to determine the most attractive marriage prospects for their children – her scoring might go something like this: +2 points for getting excellent grades –3 points for failing to live up to expectations set by genius older sister +4 points for dutifully obeying parents and never, ever going to parties, no matter how antisocial that makes her seem to everyone at Deer Hook High –1 point for harboring secret jealousy of her best friends, who are allowed to date like normal teenagers +2 points for never drinking an alcoholic beverage –10 points for obsessing about Asher Richelli, who talks to Nina like she’s not a freak at all, even though he knows that she has a disturbing line of hair running down her back

In this wryly funny debut novel, the smart, sassy, and utterly lovable Nina Khan tackles friends, family, and love, and learns that it’s possible to embrace two very different cultures – even if things can get a little bit, well, hairy.

My Thoughts:

Nina is Muslim and her family is VERY strict. She is not aloud to have a boyfriend because her parents will pick a husband for her and they don't want her to fall behind on her studies. They expect her to get into a very good college which would be Yale. Nina's sister is going to Harvard and they expect Nina to be like her. People start to think that Nina is weird because her parents won't let her go to any parties or sleepovers.
Then there is a new kid that every girl in her school wants and flirts a lot with him. His name is Asher and Nina starts to REALLY like him. He talks to her like she isn't a freak (which she thinks she is but she's not!).
Nina is very self conscious so she hates everything about herself. She thinks she is hairy and that everyone notices. When Asher points out that she has a stripe of hair going down her back she freaks! This is a funny and fun book to read.
I know I can relate to Nina A LOT! My parents are really strict too, but not as strict because I can go to sleepovers. Anyways, I'm really self conscious also. So I feel her pain!
This was a very sweet book and I liked it. I really didn't think I was going to like it but it wasn't bad. I just picked it up at the library and thought I would try it out.
If your bored or whatever I would recommend reading this book!
Im giving this book a...

B
Why you ask?
Because it was funny and sweet
It kept me busy
and it was fun to read!

Please comment and tell me what you think!

THANK YOU!
-Liz

3 comments:

Natascha De Marco said...

Well, whats with that line of hair in her back?

Faye( Ramblings of a Teenage Bookworm) said...

i nominated u 4 an award here: http://fayeflamereviews.blogspot.com/2009/08/my-1st-award-yay.html

Amy said...

This sounds like a cute read! Great review:-D
My mom is also very strict so I can relate to that as well...
-amy